Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sopapilla Bars

We had my friend Terri's birthday dinner last night and I said I would bring dessert. The host was making fajitas so I decided we couldn't go wrong with Sopapilla Cheesecake bars. Soooo easy and everyone loves them!

Sopapilla Bars

2 (8 oz.) can crescent rolls
2 (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar, divided
2 tsp. vanilla, divided
1/2 cup melted butter
ground cinnamon

Spray a 13 x 9 baking pan with Pam or any other spray oil. Open one can of crescent rolls and stretch on bottom of pan. Seal holes together to form a crust. Blend together cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla with mixer until fluffy. Spread over dough, do not go all way to the edges.
Stretch second can of dough over cream cheese filling, seal together with other crust. Melt butter in a saucepan mixed with remaining cup of sugar. When butter is melted, remove from heat and add vanilla. Brush or pour all of the butter mix over top crust, then sprinkle generously with cinnamon. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool, then refrigerate before cutting into squares.

Although these are supposed to be served cold, I had a bite of them shortly after they came out of the oven and it was DIVINE! Very rich when they're warm, but so gooey and delicious. This recipe is clearly not for the health conscious, but I really do think you could use light ingredients and get the same result. Light crescent rolls, light cream cheese, a splenda/sugar mix and then use light butter on top. They now sell the 50% less baking sticks, and while I personally wouldn't use them in a cake or cookie recipe, since you are only topping these with butter, I would definitely try it next time. Usually I don't skimp with light ingredients on desserts, but I truly think you would get the same result. Next time! ;)

Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Yum is right! I also make these as a mexican dessert and I do use light ingredients - still very yummy! And so so easy!

    ReplyDelete