Thursday, April 16, 2009

Healthy snacks

Well all like to snack, right? I know I do. I eat pretty healthy when it comes to meal time, but my in between meal snacking really gets to me sometimes. Having 2 kids that go to school is tough with all the school activities. There is ALWAYS candy, cookies, cupcakes, etc. laying around. I have such a major sweet tooth that it is VERY hard for me to stay away from it. Easter has pretty much gotten the best of me with those damn Robin's Eggs...my fave! Oh, and I can't forget the Hershey's Dark Chocolate Eggs. I only grab 3 or 4 at the time, but I take a trip to the jar about 8-10 times a day. No lie! That is 40...FORTY eggs a day. Sooooo not good.

Anyway, I am trying to recuperate and get back on track, thus the post for today! My favorite healthy snacks. (in no particular order)

1. Raw broccoli and dip. More specifically, this dip.


Major yum, and good for you.

2. Vic's Gourmet Lite popcorn. I am addicted to this popcorn. To me it tastes exactly like movie popcorn, but way better for you. You will see it at the store in those huge white bags. I know you've seen it! You can have 3 cups for only 130 calories. And 4 grams of fiber! That's a great snack.

3. Sliced mushrooms with Hidden Valley light ranch. You can have 1 whole cup of sliced raw mushrooms for only 15 calories, so basically all you are eating is the calories in the ranch...and you don't need much! Of course, this is not a filling snack, but if you are feeling munchie, it is totally guilt-less.

4. South Beach protein bars.


If you are in a hurry and you don't have time to fix anything, they are quick and easy. Most protein bars have upwards of 200 calories, but these are only 140 calories. And they still have the 10 grams of protein that the others have! Yes, it is just like eating a granola bar....all carbs and sugar, but if you are in a hurry, this will fill you up and keep you satisfied much better than a regular granola bar. Remember the 10 grams of protein! I like the chocolate flavor, but that's because I am a chocolate junkie. I haven't tried any others.

Now for dessert. We have major dessert struggles in this house. Actually, let me re-phrase. We are very good at eating dessert, what we struggle with is NOT eating dessert! What works the best for me is plain old Chocolate pudding.


You can go with the fat free, or sugar free, but the regular chocolate pudding only has 140 calories and is A LOT better. If you are feeling extra indulgent, add a squirt of this-


Fat Free Reddi Whip whipped cream. Yummy! Plus, it only has 8 calories per 2 T. I probably put about 4 T. on there, because I am a pig and I like to make a "whipped cream tower" on top of my pudding. Luckily, doubling the serving size only equals 16 calories! That is just over 150 calories for an entire dessert. Not too shabby!

Now, I am off to baseball practice only so we can come home and shove pizza in our faces before bedtime. *groan* Healthy eating is tough on-the-go!

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this popcorn and now will buy it. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.K. - I don't snack between meals, I don't eat sweets and I work out. So what is MY answer? Is is perhaps being 82, loving wine and lotsa pasta?

    ReplyDelete