Monday, May 11, 2009

Tonight's pasta

OK I am ONLY posting this because my children went on and on and on and on about how good it was. It is not gourmet, but it is very healthy and my kids LOVED it. Every one of them. I served it as a side with a grilled chicken breast. Very healthy dinner and very yummy!

1/2 box Whole Wheat Rotini pasta
1 small bag raw broccoli florets, or 1 head broccoli cut into florets (don't use frozen. I don't know why, just don't)
4ish large handfuls spinach leaves
1 container raw, sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 T. yogurt butter
1 ladleful of pasta water

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Pour in half the box of pasta and cook per package directions. When halfway done, pour in the cut up broccoli. Meanwhile, saute mushrooms in a pan until soft. I sauteed them with nothing at all! The mushrooms will release their liquids when heated, so I didn't see any sense in using olive oil or butter. (Remember, I am watching my calories!) Anyhow, boil broccoli and pasta until done and drain water, reserving at least one cup. After draining, return broccoli and pasta to pot. Pour in a little pasta water so the pasta doesn't scorch, but don't pour it all in. Place back on the burner on low. Stir in spinach a little at a time so it doesn't spill all over the place. As it wilts, continue to add until you have added and wilted it all. Now stir in mushrooms, 1 T. yogurt butter and feta cheese. Stir in enough of the reserved water so it's not dry. Remember though, the water has been salted and the feta is salty....so if you add too much water, your pasta will be very salty...a little goes a long way.

Now serve!! Easy, peasy, eh? There is nothing to it and it really was very good. There is just as much broccoli as there is pasta so it is semi-guilt free. And the best part? The kids will eat it! My 5 year old must have told me 3 times, "Mommy, this pasta is so yummy". Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment