Thursday, July 2, 2009

The best darn cupcakes EVER!

OK I have to share with you my newest love....and right in time for July 4th! They are red, the icing is white and if you put a single blueberry right in top, you've got your red, white and blue dessert. They are just delicious and VERY easy to make! I don't have a recipe to link since this is just a culmination of many recipes that I have read....kind of my own creation!

The Very Best Cupcakes in the World (Even if you think you don't like red velvet. Trust me on this...I have good taste buds.)

Cake:
24 paper liners for cupcake pans
1 package (18.25 ounces) Red Velvet cake mix
1 package (3.4 ounces) vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup sour cream (I use light)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese (I use light)
1 stick butter
1 t. vanilla
2 C. or more Powdered Sugar (depending on if you like the tart taste of cream cheese, or the sweetness of the sugar....in case you were wondering, I like the tart!)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners (I actually only get 22 out of this). Set the pans aside.

Place the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more. The batter should look thick and well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Fill batter into each lined cupcake cup, filling it three quarters of the way full. (You will get between 22 and 24 cupcakes). Place the pans in the oven.

Bake the cupcakes until they spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool for 5 minutes. Remove from pans and cool 15 minutes more, or until cool before frosting.

For frosting, cream butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix well.

No comments:

Post a Comment